Katara murder case: HC reserves order on bail plea of Vikas
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Thursday reserved its order on the bail plea of Vikas Yadav, who is undergoing life imprisonment in Nitish Katara murder case.
Vikas, son of controversial Uttar Pradesh politician
D P Yadav, pleaded for interim bail for attending marriage
ceremony of his sister Bharati Yadav.
A Division Bench headed by Justice Anil Kumar reserved
its order on Vikas` plea after hearing his contentions and
argument of Delhi police which opposed to granting any relief
He had sought three month`s interim bail to attend the
function and perform the ritual as the bride`s elder brother
during the ceremony which is scheduled for November 1.
On May 28 last year, Vikas and his cousin Vishal were
convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment for killing
Nitish Katara, a son of an IAS officer, in 2002 as they
opposed Katara`s intimacy with Bharati.
Their appeal against the trial court verdict is
pending before the High Court.
Vikas has also been convicted in Jessica Lal murder
case and sentenced to four years of imprisonment by the Delhi
High Court for destruction of evidence.
Vikas and his cousin Vishal had killed Katara on the
intervening night of February 17-18, 2002, after kidnapping
him from a marriage party in Ghaziabad as they were against
the relationship between the victim and Bharati.
The trial of the case was transferred to Delhi by the
Supreme Court after Katara`s mother Neelam had expressed
apprehension that she will not get a fair trial in Uttar
Pradesh where Vikas` father D P Yadav is a politician.
Bharati, who had left for the United Kingdom after the
incident and had been avoiding deposition in court as a
witness in the case, turned up in 2006 to record her statement
after the trial court had issued non-bailable warrant against
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31