Katara murder case: Vishal Yadav denied bail
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday refused to grant bail to Vishal Yadav, who along with his cousin Vikas, is serving life term for killing Nitish Katara in 2002.
A bench of justices BS Chauhan and TS Thakur, however, asked the Delhi High Court to decide expeditiously the appeals filed by Vishal and his cousin Vikas challenging their conviction and sentencing by the trial court for killing
Katara as they resented his relationship with their sister Bharti.
The court passed the order on Vishal`s appeal challenging the February 24 order of the high court which had refused him the bail.
The nephew of controversial Uttar Pradesh politician DP Yadav, Vishal had moved the apex court on November 11 seeking bail on health grounds.
He had also submitted in his bail plea that there was no "direct evidence" against him and the lower court had convicted him merely on the basis of circumstantial evidence.
The high court had rejected Vishal`s plea to suspend his sentence till the court decides on his appeal filed in 2008 after he was sentenced to life imprisonment by a lower court.
The bench had earlier rejected Vishal`s argument that he has been in jail for more than five years and the high court itself had granted him bail for two and half years during the trial and during that period he had shown good conduct.
The trial court had sentenced Vishal and Vikas to life imprisonment in May 2008 for kidnapping Katara on intervening night of February 16-17, 2002, from a marriage party in Ghaziabad and killing him as they resented their sister Bharti Yadav`s relationship with him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh