Kate hoax call: Indian-origin nurse`s body flown to India
London: The body of an Indian-origin nurse, who died after being duped by a prank call to a UK hospital treating a pregnant Princess Kate, was on Friday flown to India, official sources said, amid reports that the mum-of-two had criticised her senior colleagues in one of the three emotional suicide notes she left behind.
46-year-old Jacintha Saldanha`s body was transported by a Jet Airways flight to Mumbai, where it will reach at 0030 hrs tomorrow, the sources said.
It will be flown to Mangalore on December 16 for funeral to be held at Surve near Udipi, they said.
Saldanha wrote three emotional notes revealing the anguish that led to her suicide after she was duped by two Australian radio DJs into believing they were royalty, the Daily Mirror reported.
In one of the notes, the distraught mum-of-two outlines how she struggled to come to terms with the prank call by Australian DJs Mel Greig and Michael Christian to the hospital where 30-year-old Kate was being treated for severe morning sickness.
But in another she criticises her senior colleagues at the King Edward VII hospital over her treatment after the pair had pretended to be the Queen and Prince Charles asking about the duchess` condition.
It is believed the nurse`s suicide note has left her grieving family furious, with her husband Ben Barboza believed to be favouring an inquiry.
A source close to Saldanha`s family was quoted by the paper as saying: "One of the letters, which is the longest, deals with the hospital and is critical in its tone.
"Needless to say, Ben wants a full inquiry into what happened, and he wants to make sure the truth comes out. Within the letter Jacintha calls into question some of the treatment she received at the hospital."
Scotland Yard detectives are examining the notes, as well as interviewing Saldanha`s friends, family and colleagues at the hospital.
The family have been provided with transcripts of all three notes.
Saldanha`s third suicide letter is more of a practical one which deals with her funeral arrangements.
Senior Labour MP Keith Vaz, who is working on behalf of her relatives, said last night: "The truth of this matter has to come out for the sake of her family".
Australia`s media watchdog has launched a rare fast-track probe into the broadcast of the prank call by a Sydney-based radio station.
As the hoax call sparked global condemnation, the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) said it was using its special powers to launch a rare "own motion" probe contrary to other cases where it has to wait for complaints.
The radio station`s owner Southern Cross Austereo had said earlier that all profits from advertising for the rest of the year would go into a fund for Saldanha`s family. It had said it would make a minimum contribution of 500,000 dollars.
The two radio presenters behind the prank call had said they were "gutted and heartbroken" over the death of the nurse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video