Katju appeals for release of Sanaullah
New Delhi: Press Council of India (PCI) chairman Markandey Katju on Sunday appealed to the Centre to release Pakistani prisoner Sanaullah, who was injured in a scuffle in a Jammu jail and undergoing treatment at a hospital in Chandigarh.
"I appeal to the Indian government to forthwith send back Sanaullah, a Pakistani prisoner who was attacked in a Jammu jail and is said to be in coma, to Pakistan, as requested by the Pakistan government. This will be a humanitarian act," Katju said.
The PCI chief also appealed to governments of India and Pakistan to immediately set up committees to review cases of all prisoners, and to set up mechanisms for early release of those convicted on alleged `confessions` or insufficient or suspicious evidence.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis