Katju asks media to take leadership against feudalism, poverty
Bhubaneswar: Press Council of India (PCI) chairman Justice (retd) Markandey Katju on Monday said that the country had been passing through a very painful and agonising phase and exhorted the media to take leadership to combat feudal mindset and superstition in the society.
"India is now neither feudal nor modern industrial society. It is passing through a very painful and agonising phase which is likely to continue for another 20 years. The media needs to combat all these social evils," Katju told the National Council meeting of All India Small and Medium Newspapers Federation here.
"Besides giving information to the people, the media needs to give leadership to people in realm of ideas based on scientific and modern thinking," he said.
Stating that the country is facing massive problems like poverty, unemployment, and superstition, the PCI chairman said though feudal powers in the form of kings and aristocrats had become weak, these elements still existed in the country and people would have to create new organ devoid of feudal authority.
Media has to give leadership to the people in creating such a body to fight feudal authority and superstition, he said, citing examples of Europe where thinkers like Voltaire and Rousseau played a major role in transforming the then feudal society into modern society.
Katju said people were still reluctant to allow inter-caste marriage and there is a need to bring about a change.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Anna Hazare flaunts his swag on 'The Kapil Sharma Show', no kidding! - Pic inside