Katju likens media to ‘Lord Hanuman’
Hyderabad: Press Council of India Chairman Justice (retd) Markandey Katju on Saturday invoked Ramayana to appeal to journalists to help transform India into a modern society.
"India is passing through a transformation like that in western Europe in the 19th century. The next 15-20 years are going to be terrible in India.
"Indian media should play a role similar to the European media so that India could transform into a modern, industrialised society," Justice Katju said.
He was addressing a seminar on "Unethical trends in current journalism", organised by the All-India Small and Medium Newspapers Federation here today.
Stating that media was like "Lord Hanuman", Justice Katju noted there was nothing the media could not do. "You (media) are so powerful...You are here to serve Indian people. That`s your dharma. I am like Jambavant (a character in Ramayana) reminding you of your duties and powers," Justice Katju remarked.
He recalled that media played a vital role in the transformation of western Europe from a feudalistic to a modern, industrialised society between 17 and 19th centuries.
"You (media) are responsible to Indian people. There are massive problems of unemployment, health-care, child malnutrition, etc. Farmers are committing suicide. You have to project modern ideas and combat backward ideas," the PCI chief said.
The former judge of Supreme Court, who yesterday justified his decision to appoint a panel on fixing minimum qualification for scribes, observed that unethical trends were not limited to journalism and there was no point blaming journalists over this.
"Why blame journalists alone? Unethical trends are there not only in journalism but also in every walk of life. Journalists are lowly paid and there is corruption everywhere," he pointed out.
Federation president Gurinder Singh, Andhra Pradesh Information and Public Relations Commissioner Dana Kishore and others spoke on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in