Katju praises Pakistani media
New Delhi: Press Council of India Chairman
Markandey Katju on Sunday praised the Pakistani media for playing
a "historical role" and making sacrifices in the fight against
"bigoted and fanatical elements" there bent upon dragging
their society into the "dark ages".
Katju has conveyed his views to the Press Council of
Pakistan and the media there through an Indian press
delegation leaving from Mumbai for Karachi.
Conveying his best wishes to the print and electronic
media in Pakistan, Katju lauded it for playing a "historical
"Despite all its difficulties, the Pakistan media by
and large is honourably discharging its duty to society. The
Pakistan media has made great sacrifices in the face of the
bigoted and fanatical elements who want to drag society back
into the dark middle ages," Katju said in his message.
He maintained that the Indian sub-continent has
"partially emerged" from the feudal age with great
difficulties and sacrifices of our people.
"There are reactionary elements in both India and
Pakistan who want our society to be thrown back into the dark,
feudal age. It is the duty of all persons who want our people
to prosper and get a life of dignity to oppose this
reactionary trend," Katju said.
The former Supreme Court judge appreciated the
"historical and signal role" of the Pakistan media.
"I hope and trust that the Pakistan media will continue
to serve the people honourably, as it has till now, in their
struggle for a better life," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings