Katju suggests panel of SAARC press councils
New Delhi: Press Council of India Chairman Justice Markandey Katju has proposed a joint panel of press councils from all SAARC countries which can work on related issues and also on improving relations.
Officials said on April 9 that he had sent a letter to the Information and Broadcasting (I&B) Ministry proposing creation of the SAARC Press Council joint panel which was forwarded to the Prime Minister`s Office.
The idea for the formation of the joint committee was floated by Pakistani Press Council Chairman Raja Muhammad Shafqat Khan Abbasi, who wrote about it in an e-mail to Katju.
In his letter to I&B ministry, Katju wrote that the formation of such a committee was a "very good idea and India should give leadership in this committee."
Apart from working on the maintenance of press freedom and press responsibilities, the committee could also work for improving the relations between these countries, he said.
"I have written a letter and also spoken to I&B minister Ambika Soni on phone. She said it was a very good idea and decided to forward it to the Prime Minister`s office with recommendations," Katju told a news agency.
"We can initially form a panel with the SAARC countries as members but it can later be expanded to include more South Asian countries."
He said he has sought clearance from the government after which SAARC can be approached.
In his letter, he also suggested that the proposed panel can be set up as a "multi-faceted process enhancing socio- economic and ideological development in the region on a sustained basis".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read