Katju suggests panel of SAARC press councils
New Delhi: Press Council of India Chairman Justice Markandey Katju has proposed a joint panel of press councils from all SAARC countries which can work on related issues and also on improving relations.
Officials said on April 9 that he had sent a letter to the Information and Broadcasting (I&B) Ministry proposing creation of the SAARC Press Council joint panel which was forwarded to the Prime Minister`s Office.
The idea for the formation of the joint committee was floated by Pakistani Press Council Chairman Raja Muhammad Shafqat Khan Abbasi, who wrote about it in an e-mail to Katju.
In his letter to I&B ministry, Katju wrote that the formation of such a committee was a "very good idea and India should give leadership in this committee."
Apart from working on the maintenance of press freedom and press responsibilities, the committee could also work for improving the relations between these countries, he said.
"I have written a letter and also spoken to I&B minister Ambika Soni on phone. She said it was a very good idea and decided to forward it to the Prime Minister`s office with recommendations," Katju told a news agency.
"We can initially form a panel with the SAARC countries as members but it can later be expanded to include more South Asian countries."
He said he has sought clearance from the government after which SAARC can be approached.
In his letter, he also suggested that the proposed panel can be set up as a "multi-faceted process enhancing socio- economic and ideological development in the region on a sustained basis".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Delhi Assembly passes resolution against MHA notification: As it happened