Katju to be chief patron of NGO for those languishing in jails
Hyderabad: Press Council of India Chairman Justice (retd) Markandey Katju on Sunday said an NGO, which will work to secure justice for those unjustly languishing in jails, particularly from minority communities, will be launched in Delhi on April 15.
The NGO `The Court of Last Resort`, will be headed by noted lawyer Fali S Nariman, while Katju would be its `Chief Patron`.
"Time has come...This organisation is absolutely necessary. This forum will have branches in districts. We need to have a large team of youths, students, lawyers...Because injustice is meted out in large scale in this country.
"The teams will study complaints and make recommendations for pardon or for review of verdict," Katju said.
The former Supreme Court judge was replying to questions after participating in a symposium on `Reporting Terror: How sensitive is the media?`, organised by an English daily.
The NGO will examine cases and find out whether there has been injustice, he said. It may also apply for pardon or respite to the President or Governor as the case may be. "People have told me it is a revolutionary concept," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you