Katju`s appeal for release of Sarabjit finds support
New Delhi: Press Council of India chairman Justice Markandey Katju`s appeal to Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari for the release of Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh, who is lodged in a Pakistani jail, has found support across the border.
Following Katju`s appeal, Senator Syed Faseih Iqbal, a member of Press Council of Pakistan, has also written to Zardari seeking Sarabjit`s release.
Iqbal also wrote a letter to Katju in which he said that he acknowledged Katju`s bold step of making an appeal to Zardari for the release of Sarabjit Singh.
"All peace loving people in Pakistan has appreciated your appeal and expressed their support for it," Iqbal wrote to Katju.
`The Balochistan Times`, a prominent Pakistani newspaper of which Iqbal is the editor-in-chief, has also published a special news comment highlighting Katju`s appeal to President Zardari.
"The comment supports your appeal, requesting the President to give it due consideration on humanitarian grounds, suggesting that pardon, if granted, may prove to be a turning point culminating in a full-fledged peace process," Iqbal wrote to Katju.
The Press Council chairperson had used the opportunity of Zardari`s recent visit to India to ask for the release of Sarabjit.
In a letter addressed to Zardari, Katju had said that his visit to India and Ajmer Sharif had created a climate for good relations between the two countries and Sarabjit`s release could further boost the ties.
"By doing so (releasing Sarabjit) you will add to the excellent impression among Indians created by your recent visit to Delhi and Ajmer Sharif," Katju had written.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?