Katju`s appeal to Prez for respite for Mumbai blast convicts
New Delhi: Press Council of India chairperson Justice Markandey Katju has made a plea to the President seeking respite for convicted actor Sanjay Dutt and four others.
Katju said he had sent appeals for pardon for Issaq Mohammed Hajwane, Sharif Abdul Gafoor Parker, Zaibunnisa Kazi, Devender Pal Singh Bhullar and Sanjay Dutt.
Katju asked the President that till the decision of his appeals are decided, the President should grant respite, reprieve or suspension of the sentence of these 5 persons.
He said that as per the constitution the President had the powers to do so.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter