Kaveri engine to undergo in-flight tests in Russia
Moscow: India`s indigenous Kaveri aircraft engine underwent a successful flight trial on board a Russian Il-76LL aircraft, but experts here said that 50 more in-flight tests were needed before it is ready to power the Tejas fighter.
"The first flight of an Il-76LL (Flying Lab) aircraft
with a Kaveri engine set in place of one of the plane`s
engines continued for 45 minutes and confirmed the results of
ground tests," state arms export firm Rosoboronexport
Corporation said in a statement here.
The Kaveri engine has been designed by India`s Gas
Turbine Research Establishment (GTRE) for the Tejas fighter
developed under the Indian national programme Light Combat
About 50 in-flight tests have been scheduled for the
next few months by Russia`s top aviation institute -- Gromov
Flight Research Institute -- based in Zhukovski near here to
confirm the engine`s characteristics and reliability, after
which it would be tested on Tejas LCA, it said.
Kaveri has already suffered prolonged delays, and the
first of the indigenous Tejas light combat aircraft fighters
had to be powered by General Electric GE F404 engines.
India is negotiating a fresh deal with the American
company to buy more advanced engines to ensure that the LCA
flies to its maximum capabilities.
The advanced version of LCA is expected to be powered
by the Kaveri engine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`: Police
- Rajnath Singh to arrive in trouble-torn Kashmir on Saturday
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise