Keen to see solution to Norway custody row: PM
Seoul: India is keen to find an "amicable"
and "good" solution to the custody battle of two young Indian
children in Norway within the ambit of the law, Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh on Sunday told his Norwegian counterpart.
Singh who is here to attend the Nuclear Security Summit,
met Norway Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg and said that he
expected a decision on the issue within the ambit of the law.
"We are keen to see an amicable and good solution
emerging out in the interest of the welfare of the children
and within the ambit of the law," Indian sources told
reporters after Stoltenberg briefed Singh about the issue.
Abhigyan, 3, and Aishwarya, one, were placed in foster
care by Norwegian Child Welfare Authorities in May last year
on grounds of "emotional disconnect".
"Singh emphasised the deep sense of family values that
are prevalent in India and the feeling that parents are best
equipped to take care of their children," the sources said.
Stoltenberg told Singh that the local municipality is
planning to take the next steps in consultation with the
district court and all parties concerned, they said.
In a setback to the parents of the two children,
Norwegian authorities last week said they were not going ahead
with a deal to hand over the kids to their uncle in view of
"conflicts" in the family.
The statement followed reports of differences between the
parents -- Anurup and Sagarika Bhhatacharya.
"In the light of the great uncertainty that now
prevails, the Child Welfare Service (CWS) cannot maintain that
a move to India would be in the best interests of the
children," CWS chief Gunnar Toresen had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery