Kejriwal alleges irregularities in Delhi Jal Board
New Delhi: Aam Admi Party convenor Arvind Kejriwal on Saturday persisted with his attack on Delhi government for the second successive day, accusing it of irregularities in Delhi Jal Board and effecting 18-fold hike in the water tariff in last nine years.
"Our water bill, which was Rs 74 nine years ago has swollen to Rs 1,375, which is an 18-fold growth. This is due to corruption in water distribution system under which a French firm run water treatment plant in Sonia Vihar is being paid for inflated quantity of treated water by the government," he said while launching the 51-day long agitation at Najafgarh.
Delhi Jal Board rejected the allegations terming them as totally unfounded.
Kejriwal had alleged that the firm gets 90 million gallon per day (MGD) water to purify but interestingly it shows an output of 140 MGD "which is impossible".
"But still it gets paid for this inflated quantity by the government. Similarly, government provides free electricity to a firm which runs Nangloi filtration plant. It then buys water from the firm at Rs 15 per kilolitre while the same work could be done by Delhi Jal Board at Rs 5 per kilolitre," he said.
The anti-corruption activist again asked the people not to pay their "inflated" electricity bill, and said "if you are afraid that you connection would be disconnected and police may take action for reconnecting it, then give a call to me I will come to reconnect the power connection."
Kejriwal, while outlining his course of action, said that he would be staging demonstrations at 51 places during his 51-day long agitation programme to make the people aware about the rise in electricity bills.
DJB, in a statement, said that the points raised by Kejriwal were inaccurate and misleading.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31