Kejriwal asks President not to sign ordinance on convicted MPs, MLAs
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party leader Arvind Kejriwal on Wednesday said that his party has sought an appointment with President Pranab Mukherjee to request him not to sign the ordinance approved by the government meant to protect convicted MPs and MLAs from facing immediate disqualification.
Expressing his displeasure over the ordinance, Kejriwal today tweeted: “We have sought an appointment with President to request him not to sign ordinance. President`s office has informed he is out of town. Will be back tomorrow evening.”
Yesterday the AAP condemned the government`s approval of an ordinance, saying it exposes the intentions of the political class which has "stooped" to a new low to save the corrupt.
"The Cabinet passed an ordinance undoing the order of Supreme Court on convicted MPs and MLAs today. The passing of this ordinance is not only a severe blow to democracy, but also exposes the intentions of the political class which has stooped to a new low to protect the corrupt," the party said in a statement.
According to data available with Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR), there are 161 (30 per cent) MPs in Lok Sabha who have a tainted track record, and 78 of them have serious charges against them.
In Delhi Assembly, there are around 32 (46 per cent) MLAs with criminal cases, of which eight MLAs have serious cases against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened