Kejriwal demands resignation of Khurshid, Louise denies allegations
New Delhi: India Against Corruption (IAC) leader Arvind Kejriwal on Saturday announced an indefinite agitation to demand the resignation and arrest of Law Minister Salman Khurshid over alleged financial irregularities in his NGO even as the minister`s wife Louise rubbished the allegations and the Congress came to his defence.
Kejriwal, who was arrested and detained along with 150 supporters at the Rajiv Gandhi Stadium in Bawana on the outskirts of Delhi, was released late Friday night, but the activist and his supporters refused to leave the stadium till Saturday morning.
Kejriwal, IAC members Gopal Rai and Manish Sisodia and Rashtriya Viklang Party (RVP) president KK Dikshit then reached Parliament Street, where Kejriwal announced the IAC decision to sit on an indefinite protest agitation outside the police station till the government acts on their demands.
Dikshit has alleged that Khurshid`s NGO siphoned off funds meant for the disabled.
Salman Khurshid`s wife Louise Khurshid on Saturday slammed Kejriwal and a television channel for alleging that their NGO -Zakir Hussain Memorial Trust - had siphoned off lakhs of rupees meant for physically challenged people and termed the charges as false.
"Our papers are open to scrutiny. Every allegation they have made, we have countered. We have got the bills for everything I have all the facts and figures to show the allegations are false," Louise Khurshid told news channels.
"They found only three people who said they did not get the equipment. If we had done a fraud on such a mass scale, wouldn`t they have found thousands of people (who did not get the equipment)? In 2009 and 2010 we distributed aids to 2,353 people and there are just three allegations out of the thousands," Louise said.
Louise on Friday filed a civil defamation case in the Delhi High Court against the TV Today Group seeking damages of Rs 100 crore, said court sources.
According to the Aaj Tak report, the Union Social Welfare and Empowerment Ministry had granted Rs 71.50 lakh to the Khurshids` NGO for distributing tricycles and hearing aids to the disabled in 17 districts of Uttar Pradesh.
The television channel has alleged financial misappropriation by the Khurshids in running the trust.
While Salman Khurshid is the president of the trust, his wife is the project director.
Referring to a draft Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) report allegedly pointing to irregularities in running of the trust, Louise said she had met the CAG and had been "assured" that the report would include her point of view.
Louise also termed Kejriwal as an "ambulance chaser".
"He is not a social activist anymore. He is running a political party and he is looking for issues. I regret that they are using the handicaps of people to try and build a political campaign. It is so unfair," she said.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni came to the support of Khurshid saying he has a "reputation as a very upright and honourable political leader".
She said the charges of financial impropriety "would have a shattering effect on anybody", and added that Khurshid, who is abroad, should be allowed to come back and "give the real picture".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks