Kejriwal does not vote, Cong takes a dig
Ghaziabad: Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal has been embroiled in yet another controversy. This time it had to do with his reluctance to vote in the Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections on Tuesday. Nonetheless, he was forced to retract after a hullaballoo in the media.
Kejriwal was reportedly heading to Goa for a Team Anna meet without casting his vite. But after the media picked up the story he came back to Ghaziabad to cast his vote, only to find that his name was not in the voters list.
Later Kejriwal said that he had the voters’ card and that he had returned to vote as he had ‘realised his mistake’. "I was feeling guilty when I was leaving for Goa."
This goof-up by the anti-corruption crusader gave a chance to his detractors to take a dig at him. Senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh promptly tweeted, “If they do believe in democracy then what form of democracy.” “Obviously Team Anna doesn`t practice what it preaches. They should clarify whether they believe in democracy or not,” he added. Further rubbing it in, he tweeted, “Great protectors of probity in public life. Anna doesn`t go to vote. Kejriwal doesn`t care to see whether he is registered as voter.”
Arvind Kejriwal was involved in another controversy recently when on February 25 he had termed Parliamentarians as `robbers` and `rapists`. This remark had sparked off a huge controversy with the entire political class coming down heavily on the social activist.
Also in what seems ironical now, Anna Hazare had met Chief Election Commissioner SY Quraishi just a few days back and pressed the poll panel to consider implementing the measures suggested by the civil society in the proposed electoral reform process.
Anna was accompanied by Arvind Kejriwal and Kiran Bedi.
The meeting was held in the backdrop of Quraishi’s rejection of Team Anna’s two main demands of incorporating ‘right to recall’ and ‘right to reject’ in the proposed electoral reform process.
The poll panel chief was of the opinion that the `right to reject` or the `right to recall` non-performing MPs may not work in a large country like India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22