Kejriwal seeks more time on I-T notice
New Delhi: Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal
did not comply with the Income Tax Department notice asking
him to pay over Rs nine lakh in dues, saying he was needed
more time to decide on the issue as he was given "very little
"I am consulting my friends and will take a decision in a
week or ten days. They had given me very little time,"
Kejriwal said as the deadline for paying the dues ended today.
According to I-T officials, they can initiate property
attachment proceedings under service rules and subsequently,
initiate criminal case against a person who defaults on dues.
The Office of the Chief Commissioner of Income Tax (CCIT)
had on August five issued a notice to Kejriwal asking him to
pay Rs 9.27 lakh claiming that he had violated bond clauses
under which he went on a study leave for two years. The social
activist was asked him to deposit the money.
A fresh notice was issued to him a week ago asking him to
pay by October 27.
The dues had accumulated following the alleged violation
of bond clauses under which Kejriwal, an Indian Revenue
Service officer, had gone abroad on study leave for two years
between November 2000 and 2002.
When the Delhi CCIT had written to him in 2007 and 2008
for clearance of his dues, Kejriwal had responded that they
may be waived.
Kejriwal and other Hazare team members had attacked the
issuance of notice, terming it as an action of the
government`s "dirty tricks department" under instructions from
The activist has claimed that he did not "violate" any
bond provisions and he had resigned from the job after the
stipulated three years of rejoining duty following his study
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui