‘Kejriwal still govt servant; has Rs 9L dues’
New Delhi: Just before Anna Hazare took on the government by going on a fast over the Lokpal Bill, the Income Tax department had slapped a notice on his key associate Arvind Kejriwal over unpaid dues amounting to over Rs 9 lakhs.
Kejriwal who joined Indian Revenue Service in 1995 and worked as Additional Commissioner of Income Tax in Delhi had resigned from service in February 2006, but Income Tax Department says his resignation can`t be accepted till he clears all the dues.
Prior to tendering his resignation, Kejriwal had in year 2000 took academic leave of two years.
As per the I-T department he is still a government servant as after being on study leave from November 01, 2000-October 31, 2002, did not return to government service - rules mandate a three year bond after study leave. Thus he owes the department two years’ salary amounting to Rs 3.5 lakhs and an additional 4.16 lakh as interest on that amount.
Besides the salary dues, the social activist had also taken a computer loan of Rs 50,000, which he is yet to repay the interest accumulated on this sum amounts to Rs 1 lakh.
Kejriwal replied to the notice by asserting that he took study leave from 2000 till October 2002 and resumed duty in November 01, 2002. Kejriwal also said that he completed three years in October 1, 2005 and resigned only in February 2006.
The noted RTI activist denied that he had violated any norms, while questioning the timing of the notice.
Kejriwal has announced that he will hold a press conference today evening over the issue.
I-T notice to Kumar Vishwas
Meanwhile, the I-T department also issued a notice to another Team Anna member, Kumar Vishwas, to repay his dues by September 15.
Casting doubts on the timing of the I-T notice, Vishwas said as the notice was sent on August 29, a day after Annaji broke his fast, the motive itself becomes a bit suspicious.
“I have been paying tax on a routine basis and my personal assistant will surely reply back to the I-T department’s notice,” Vishwas further said.
He also urged Anna Hazare to carry on the fight against corruption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in