‘Kejriwal still govt servant; has Rs 9L dues’
New Delhi: Just before Anna Hazare took on the government by going on a fast over the Lokpal Bill, the Income Tax department had slapped a notice on his key associate Arvind Kejriwal over unpaid dues amounting to over Rs 9 lakhs.
Kejriwal who joined Indian Revenue Service in 1995 and worked as Additional Commissioner of Income Tax in Delhi had resigned from service in February 2006, but Income Tax Department says his resignation can`t be accepted till he clears all the dues.
Prior to tendering his resignation, Kejriwal had in year 2000 took academic leave of two years.
As per the I-T department he is still a government servant as after being on study leave from November 01, 2000-October 31, 2002, did not return to government service - rules mandate a three year bond after study leave. Thus he owes the department two years’ salary amounting to Rs 3.5 lakhs and an additional 4.16 lakh as interest on that amount.
Besides the salary dues, the social activist had also taken a computer loan of Rs 50,000, which he is yet to repay the interest accumulated on this sum amounts to Rs 1 lakh.
Kejriwal replied to the notice by asserting that he took study leave from 2000 till October 2002 and resumed duty in November 01, 2002. Kejriwal also said that he completed three years in October 1, 2005 and resigned only in February 2006.
The noted RTI activist denied that he had violated any norms, while questioning the timing of the notice.
Kejriwal has announced that he will hold a press conference today evening over the issue.
I-T notice to Kumar Vishwas
Meanwhile, the I-T department also issued a notice to another Team Anna member, Kumar Vishwas, to repay his dues by September 15.
Casting doubts on the timing of the I-T notice, Vishwas said as the notice was sent on August 29, a day after Annaji broke his fast, the motive itself becomes a bit suspicious.
“I have been paying tax on a routine basis and my personal assistant will surely reply back to the I-T department’s notice,” Vishwas further said.
He also urged Anna Hazare to carry on the fight against corruption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check Jharkhand JAC 12th Intermediate Arts Results 2015 on jac.nic.in
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today