Kejriwal to sit on indefinite fast from Saturday
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Arvind Kejriwal will sit on an indefinite hunger strike from Saturday against increased power and water bills in the national capital.
"The time has come to motivate people against illegal rise in taxes by the Delhi government," Kejriwal told reporters at a press conference here Friday.
He will sit on the fast at a house near the sub-divisional magistrate`s office in Nand Nagri area in east Delhi.
According to Kejriwal, the house owner had to borrow money to pay his water and electric bills.
AAP members will also protest in 264 wards across Delhi and launch a door-to-door campaign, asking people not to pay bills according to the increased tariff.
Kejriwal alleged that Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had colluded with power and water companies and illegally increased the tariff.
On social activist Anna Hazare joining his protest, Kejriwal said: "He has assured to come on March 29." According to media reports, however, Anna Hazare has declined to commit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof