Kejriwal to sit on indefinite fast from Saturday
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Arvind Kejriwal will sit on an indefinite hunger strike from Saturday against increased power and water bills in the national capital.
"The time has come to motivate people against illegal rise in taxes by the Delhi government," Kejriwal told reporters at a press conference here Friday.
He will sit on the fast at a house near the sub-divisional magistrate`s office in Nand Nagri area in east Delhi.
According to Kejriwal, the house owner had to borrow money to pay his water and electric bills.
AAP members will also protest in 264 wards across Delhi and launch a door-to-door campaign, asking people not to pay bills according to the increased tariff.
Kejriwal alleged that Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had colluded with power and water companies and illegally increased the tariff.
On social activist Anna Hazare joining his protest, Kejriwal said: "He has assured to come on March 29." According to media reports, however, Anna Hazare has declined to commit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY