Kejriwal to vacate govt residence
New Delhi: AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal will be by early next week vacating the government accommodation on Tilak Lane where he has continued to stay after resigning from the post of Delhi Chief Minister, party sources said today.
Delhi government had earlier issued a notice to Kejriwal asking him to pay a monthly rent of Rs 85,000 for the flat at C-II/23, Tilak Lane, in Central Delhi.
However, Kejriwal had sought an extension of stay in the house until his daughter`s Class XII examinations got over.
Now that his daughter has finished with her higher secondary and IIT entrance exams, the Kejriwals have decided to move out, an AAP source said, adding that although they are yet to zero in on any house, the family may decide to settle down in east Delhi.
"We are looking for a new house and, as soon as we finalise on it, we will vacate this house and transfer possession to the government," said the AAP source.
After coming to power in Delhi in December, 2013, Kejriwal had stepped down from office in Februray, 2014, following a brief 49-day stint as Delhi Chief Minister.
The source, meanwhile, added that Kejriwal was looking to have the house allotted in the name of his wife, who is a senior IRS officer.
The source said that Kejriwal`s wife, Sunita, is due for a promotion in her job which would entitle her to accommodation of a type similar to the one on Tilak Road, but noted that it could take a couple of months due to the change of guard at the Centre.
Kejriwal had moved into the house in January of this year from Kaushmabi in Ghaziabad after he became Delhi Chief Minister.
Kejriwal`s daughter Harshita had scored 96 per cent in her Class XII exams.
"My parents are my role models. I would like to pursue a course in one of the IITs. Now my aim is to get admission in an IIT," Harshita had said after passing the 12th exams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH