Kejriwal was issued notices even in 2007, 2008
New Delhi: Team Anna has slammed the timing
of the Income Tax department notices to one of its top
members-- Arvind Kejriwal-- asking him to pay his dues but
similar notices were issued to him in 2007 and 2008 too.
Kejriwal, who is in the midst of a controversy over
payments due from him from the government for alleged
violation of service norms, was issued notices by the Chief
Commissioner of Income Tax (CCIT) Delhi for clearance of his
dues of Rs 9.27 lakh on August 5.
The dues had accumulated over the alleged violation of
bond clauses under which Kejriwal, an Indian Revenue Service
officer, had gone abroad on study leave for two years between
November 2000 and 2002.
When the Delhi CCIT had written to him in 2007 and 2008
for clearance of his dues, Kejriwal had responded that they
may be waived.
The department issued a notice on August 5 eleven days
before Anna Hazare was to launch his indefinite fast in the
capital against corruption.
Kejriwal and other Hazare team members attacked the
issuance of notice as part of governments "dirty tricks
department" action and as one that came under instructions
from political bosses.
Kejriwal has claimed that he did not "violate" any bond
provisions and he had resigned from the job after the
stipulated three years of rejoining duty after study leave.
However, the government had said it "will go by rules"
while deciding the plea of the social activist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH