Kendriya Vidyalayas in 155 districts planned: Govt
New Delhi: Government on Friday said it will consider opening Kendriya Vidyalays (KVs) in 155 districts where such schools do not exist.
Replying to a question in Rajya Sabha, HRD Minister MM Pallam Raju said government will "definitely" consider opening KVs in those districts which do not have these schools.
He also informed the House that buildings of 60 KVs were under construction.
During the 12th Five Year Plan (2012-17) there is a proposal to open 500 KVs in the country.
He also said that presently there was no plan to set up Kendriya Vidyalayas in the country under public-private partnership (PPP) mode.
A proposal for opening of KVs under PPP mode was considered by the Board of Governors of Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan in January this year.
"However, Board decided not to introduce the scheme of opening of new KVs under the PPP mode," Raju said.
KVs are sponsored by central and state governments and organisation of employees belonging to certain categories.
Public Sector Undertakings and institutes of higher learning can also sponsor KVs.
The sponsoring authority has to provide free of cost land for the school and temporary accommodation till the KV building is constructed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre