Kenya terror attack: Global effort required to fight terrorism, says Manmohan Singh
Zee Media Bureau/Sushmita Dutta
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday strongly condemned the terror strike on a shopping mall in Nairobi in Kenya and has directed the MEA to extend help to Indian nationals who were among the victims.
The PM also wrote to the Kenyan President and wished a speedy recovery to the people injured in the attack.
While showing his concern towards the growing instinct of violence among the young generation worldwide, the Prime Minister wrote in his letter to President Kenyatta that, "A concerted global effort is required to control such mindless violence."
At least two Indians were among those killed in the deadly terror attack on Westgate shopping centre in Kenya’s Nairobi. Hostages are still held captive by the militants while the death toll has escalated to 59, reports said.
Condemning the attack in a national address, President Kenyatta vowed to punish the perpetrators of the attack which targeted Westgate mall which is popular with expats.
Early Sunday morning, 12 hours after the attack began, gunmen remained holed up inside the mall with an unknown number of hostages. President Uhuru Kenyatta called the security operation under way "delicate" and said a top priority was to safeguard hostages.
Witnesses said at least five gunmen — including at least one woman — first attacked an outdoor cafe at Nairobi`s Westgate Mall, a shiny, new shopping center that includes Nike, Adidas and Bose stores. The mall`s ownership is Israeli, and security experts have long said the structure made an attractive terrorist target.
The responsibility for the attack has been claimed by the al Qaeda-linked al Shabab militants who claimed that 100 people have been killed inside the mall.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’