Kenya terror attack: Global effort required to fight terrorism, says Manmohan Singh
Zee Media Bureau/Sushmita Dutta
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday strongly condemned the terror strike on a shopping mall in Nairobi in Kenya and has directed the MEA to extend help to Indian nationals who were among the victims.
The PM also wrote to the Kenyan President and wished a speedy recovery to the people injured in the attack.
While showing his concern towards the growing instinct of violence among the young generation worldwide, the Prime Minister wrote in his letter to President Kenyatta that, "A concerted global effort is required to control such mindless violence."
At least two Indians were among those killed in the deadly terror attack on Westgate shopping centre in Kenya’s Nairobi. Hostages are still held captive by the militants while the death toll has escalated to 59, reports said.
Condemning the attack in a national address, President Kenyatta vowed to punish the perpetrators of the attack which targeted Westgate mall which is popular with expats.
Early Sunday morning, 12 hours after the attack began, gunmen remained holed up inside the mall with an unknown number of hostages. President Uhuru Kenyatta called the security operation under way "delicate" and said a top priority was to safeguard hostages.
Witnesses said at least five gunmen — including at least one woman — first attacked an outdoor cafe at Nairobi`s Westgate Mall, a shiny, new shopping center that includes Nike, Adidas and Bose stores. The mall`s ownership is Israeli, and security experts have long said the structure made an attractive terrorist target.
The responsibility for the attack has been claimed by the al Qaeda-linked al Shabab militants who claimed that 100 people have been killed inside the mall.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India