Kerala gets record presence at Centre
Thiruvananthapuram: With the induction of Shashi Tharoor and Kodikkunnil Suresh in the Union Council of Ministers on Sunday, Kerala`s representation at the Centre has gone up to eight, the highest ever for the state.
Out of the eight ministers, seven are from the Congress, including Cabinet Ministers AK Antony and Vayalar Ravi.
E Ahamed, Minister of State for External Affairs, belongs to Indian Union Muslim League, a long-time ally of the Congress in the state as well as at the Centre.
KV Thomas, Mullapally Ramachandran and KC Venugopal are the other Central ministers from Kerala apart from the newly inducted members.
Keralites who are playing important roles at the Centre also include Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien and Congress spokesperson PC Chacko, who is Chairman of the JPC on the 2G spectrum issue as well.
In today`s cabinet shuffle, the state capital has achieved sort of a double gain. While Tharoor represents Thiruvananthapuram in the Lok Sabha, Suresh belongs to a village here.
He has, however, been elected from Mavelikkara in the Central Travancore region.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?