Kerala gets record presence at Centre
Thiruvananthapuram: With the induction of Shashi Tharoor and Kodikkunnil Suresh in the Union Council of Ministers on Sunday, Kerala`s representation at the Centre has gone up to eight, the highest ever for the state.
Out of the eight ministers, seven are from the Congress, including Cabinet Ministers AK Antony and Vayalar Ravi.
E Ahamed, Minister of State for External Affairs, belongs to Indian Union Muslim League, a long-time ally of the Congress in the state as well as at the Centre.
KV Thomas, Mullapally Ramachandran and KC Venugopal are the other Central ministers from Kerala apart from the newly inducted members.
Keralites who are playing important roles at the Centre also include Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien and Congress spokesperson PC Chacko, who is Chairman of the JPC on the 2G spectrum issue as well.
In today`s cabinet shuffle, the state capital has achieved sort of a double gain. While Tharoor represents Thiruvananthapuram in the Lok Sabha, Suresh belongs to a village here.
He has, however, been elected from Mavelikkara in the Central Travancore region.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city