Kerala gets record presence at Centre
Thiruvananthapuram: With the induction of Shashi Tharoor and Kodikkunnil Suresh in the Union Council of Ministers on Sunday, Kerala`s representation at the Centre has gone up to eight, the highest ever for the state.
Out of the eight ministers, seven are from the Congress, including Cabinet Ministers AK Antony and Vayalar Ravi.
E Ahamed, Minister of State for External Affairs, belongs to Indian Union Muslim League, a long-time ally of the Congress in the state as well as at the Centre.
KV Thomas, Mullapally Ramachandran and KC Venugopal are the other Central ministers from Kerala apart from the newly inducted members.
Keralites who are playing important roles at the Centre also include Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien and Congress spokesperson PC Chacko, who is Chairman of the JPC on the 2G spectrum issue as well.
In today`s cabinet shuffle, the state capital has achieved sort of a double gain. While Tharoor represents Thiruvananthapuram in the Lok Sabha, Suresh belongs to a village here.
He has, however, been elected from Mavelikkara in the Central Travancore region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal