Kerala lecturer case: Attackers threaten cops
Kochi: A suspect in the attack on a
Kerala college lecturer, whose palm was chopped off for
allegedly preparing a question paper with derogatory
references to Prophet Mohammed, has threatened a police
officer against continuing searches in his house, police said.
Rasheed (30), an activist of Muslim fundamentalist
outfit, People`s Front, suspected to behind the attack, had
criminally intimidated Circle Inspector Famous Varghese, who
is in the investigation team, Rural SP T Vikram said here.
He was a close friend of K K Ali who had purchased the
van used in Sunday`s attack on T J Joseph, lecturer at a
private Christian college at Muvattapuzha in the district.
Several houses, including that of Rasheed, were
searched by police soon after the attack. Joseph`s palm was
cut by the assailants.
Police said they are tracing incoming and outgoing
calls on the cellphones of some suspects.
Vikram said a case under two sections of IPC,
including for criminal intimidation, have been registered
Meanwhile, the condition of Joseph, whose right palm
was sutured after a 16 hour surgery was stable, hospital
Joseph was arrested in April last after the question
paper set by him for the B.Com II year internal exams sparked
protests by Muslim outfits, which claimed it had hurt their
He was later suspended from the college and was out on
bail when attacked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh