Kerala nurses given food by ISIS militants in Iraq: Chandy
New Delhi/Thiruvananthapuram: The 46 nurses from Kerala, who were shifted from Iraq`s Tikrit city to Mosul by Sunni insurgents, have been put up in a building and have been given food, said Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on Friday.
The women nurses reached Mosul close to midnight, said Chandy, who is in Delhi and closely monitoring the situation alongwith the External Affairs Ministry.
Chandy told a news agency over phone that the nurses have been given food and they have been put up in a building.
"When they reached the building there was no power supply. But very soon it was restored and they are taking rest," said Chandy.
"The prime responsibility is to see that they make a safe return...," he added.
The Kerala Chief Minister assured that "we are making every efforts and for that all diplomatic channels are being used."
"Like yesterday (Thursday), am leaving shortly to meet ministers and officials and our only aim and objective is their safe return," said Chandy.
A person in the know of things told the news agency that one of the nurses had send an SMS to her husband that they were given beds.
IANS was the first to report that the nurses had been told to board buses.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference