Kerala orders probe into KGB’s son-in-law assets
New Delhi: In a fresh trouble for former Chief Justice of India KG Balakrishnan, the Kerala government on Monday ordered a vigilance probe into charges of amassing of disproportionate wealth by his son-in-law PV Sreenijin.
The probe was ordered by Chief Minister VS Achuthanandan.
Sreenijin has been accused of amassing property worth crores of rupees in a short span of time, disproportionate to his known sources of income.
Following the accusations leveled against his son-in-law, Balakrishnan faced pressure from various quarters to quit as chairman of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC).
Among the leading voices has been retired Supreme Court judge Justice VR Krishna Iyer, who has demanded a high-level investigation into the allegations against his Sreenijin.
Meanwhile, Union Law Minister M Veerappa Moily today virtually gave a clean chit to NHRC Chairman Balakrishnan, saying there is no evidence of misuse of office by him.
"I don`t have even a single piece of paper to say...these are all the allegations," Moily said, responding to a question on allegations against Balakrishnan`s son-in-law and against his brother which appeared in a section of the media.
Sreenijin, who had declared only assets worth Rs 25,000 in the affidavit filed in the 2006 Assembly polls (he was the Congress candidate from Njarackal,) now allegedly owns several prime properties, including a riverside plot of 2.5 acres at Annamanada in Thrissur.
He and his wife Sony have also said to have acquired a flat in the city, a plum office space near the High Court and 25 cents of land at Elamakkara (in the suburbs of Kochi) where the construction of a bungalow is in progress, according to media reports.
Both Sreenijin and Sony are practising advocates.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened