Kerala Police track Bitti Mohanty`s identity in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: A Kerala Police team on Friday met police officials in Odisha to gather evidence to prove that the man arrested by them was Bitti Mohanty who jumped a parole in 2006 after his conviction for raping a German woman.
The team also visited a university here to verify if it had issued a B-Tech (Bachelor of Technology) certificate to anyone named as Raghav Rajan as claimed by the accused.
After verification, the team found it was untrue.
"The B.Tech degree certificate in the name of Raghav Rajan is forged. The same was issued in the name of Biti," said Josi Joesph, an inspector-rank officer leading the Kerala Police team which is here to verify the B.Tech degree certificate from KIIT University produced by the probationary bank officer who was arrested on March 8.
The team is expected to verify school records and meet family members of Mohanty in Cuttack to collect more evidence.
Bitti Mohanty was arrested from Alwar in 2006 for raping a German woman. He is the son of BB Mohanty, a former director general of police in Odisha. Bitti raped the German, a tourist, in Rajasthan`s Alwar district March 21, 2006, and was convicted on April 12, 2006.
Mohanty was sentenced to seven years` imprisonment for the rape. In November 2006, he secured the parole to meet his ailing mother. Since then, his whereabouts were unknown. He was allegedly living in Kerala concealing his identity.
He was arrested March 8 after the State Bank of Travancore, where he was working as a probationary officer, raised doubts about his identity.
Kerala Police have been gathering evidence after he described himself as Raghava Rajan and backed his claim with passport, electoral identity card, and school and college certificates some of which have Odisha connection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM