Kerala says a little prayer for Sreesanth
Thiruvananthapuram: Like the rest of the country, Kerala fervently hoped for India`s victory against Sri Lanka, but it said an extra prayer for one man - fast bowler S. Sreesanth.
In fact, cricket buffs appeared mighty pleased when some TV channels here reported that the Kochi lad was likely to be included in the Indian team. Indian captain M.S. Dhoni has indicated that Sreesanth may be in for the final in place of the injured Ashish Nehra.
"India won the World Cup in 1983 and that time there was a Malayali (Sunil Valson), born and brought up outside the state. The presence of Sreesanth this time will mean we will win," said Class 8 student Mathew George.
Even Defence Minister A.K. Antony could not hide his excitement. "Like each and every Indian, I want India to win," said Antony.
With Saturday being a holiday and educational institutions closed for the annual break, streets across the state wore a deserted look. Many were indoors to watch the match.
"Sreesanth is India`s lucky charm because when India beat Pakistan to win the T20 final it was he who took the catch to dismiss Pakistan`s last batsman," said Sandeep Kumar, a Class 12 student here.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country