Keralite abducted in Nigeria
Kottayam: A Keralite hailing from Pala near here has allegedly been abducted by armed men in Nigeria for ransom, his family sources said on Monday.
Rajimon (44), working as an engineer in a construction firm at Uromi in Edo state of Nigeria, was kidnapped on September 13 when he was going to office, his relatives here said.
The abductors contacted Ray Royal construction company officials demanding a ransom of Rs 7.50 crore for his release, which was later reduced to Rs 5.50 crore and eventually to Rs 3.50 crore, he said.
Rajimon, working there for the last four years, was to come home on September 17.
His friend Jayamohan, who was here on leave, yesterday went to Nigeria and contacted company officials after which he received information about reduction in the ransom.
Company officials were in touch with the abductors and spoke to Rajimon who is safe in their custody, he said.
There has been no communication from Rajimon to the family so far, he said.
Local MP Jose K Mani spoke to Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi, who in turn, has contacted the Indian Embassy in Nigeria, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj