Keralite abducted in Nigeria
Kottayam: A Keralite hailing from Pala near here has allegedly been abducted by armed men in Nigeria for ransom, his family sources said on Monday.
Rajimon (44), working as an engineer in a construction firm at Uromi in Edo state of Nigeria, was kidnapped on September 13 when he was going to office, his relatives here said.
The abductors contacted Ray Royal construction company officials demanding a ransom of Rs 7.50 crore for his release, which was later reduced to Rs 5.50 crore and eventually to Rs 3.50 crore, he said.
Rajimon, working there for the last four years, was to come home on September 17.
His friend Jayamohan, who was here on leave, yesterday went to Nigeria and contacted company officials after which he received information about reduction in the ransom.
Company officials were in touch with the abductors and spoke to Rajimon who is safe in their custody, he said.
There has been no communication from Rajimon to the family so far, he said.
Local MP Jose K Mani spoke to Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi, who in turn, has contacted the Indian Embassy in Nigeria, sources said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO