Kerosene, LPG price hike disastrous: Cong leader
New Delhi: Even as his party defended the
fuel price hike, Congress leader Anil Shastri today dubbed the
rise in prices of kerosene and LPG as "disastrous for the
common man" and appealed to party chief Sonia Gandhi to
immediately intervene in the matter.
Shastri, who is a special invitee to the CWC and the
Editor of party mouthpiece `Congress Sandesh`, told reporters
that his stand was not against the party line.
"Has the party welcomed the hike?" he queried.
At the same time, he said that there might have been
compulsions for the government to raise the prices.
Shastri, however said that his appeal to Gandhi was to
intervene like on earlier occasions. He said she should
intervene again which could lead to revising of the policy.
Asked if he was toeing the opposition line, Shastri
denied it, saying his line was that of the Congress.
"Increase in prices of kerosene and cooking gas is
disastrous. The common man is badly affected. Soniaji must
immediately intervene," he wrote in microblogging site
`Twitter`, stirring a debate on the issue.
Shastri`s comments came close on the heels of party
spokesman Manish Tewari defending the fuel hike contending
that sometimes government has to take "tough economic
decisions" in national interest and such people understand the
context of such decisions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP cuts gap, witnesses massive surge in seats; counting underway
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP closes gap with Shiv Sena in BMC, dominates in other cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway