Kerry visits IIT, walks out impressed with students
New Delhi: "Very exciting" and "excellent" were the words used by US Secretary of State John Kerry as he visited two laboratories at the prestigious Indian Institute of Technology here on Thursday and interacted with the students.
Kerry, who is here for the 5th Indo-US Strategic Dialogue, took time out of his schedule and visited the Applied Microbiology Laboratory and Bio-process lab.
Professor R K Shevgaonkar, Director of the IIT, Delhi told PTI that the American Embassy had specifically mentioned the laboratories that Kerry wanted to visit.
In Pics: John Kerry visits IIT
Dressed in a blue suit, Kerry interacted with the students there and asked a number of questions about the processes involved, the education fees, patent system and also if they would get a job in India or would they have to go out.
Kerry was very pleased to see a research project on bio-degradable plastic.
As a student explained the project to him, Kerry said, "Very exciting. It would be a huge contribution to the world. Very exciting. Fantastic".
Kunal Gupta, who is part of the project, said he was proud that Kerry visited his institute.
"I am very proud to be part of a institute which is recognised in the US as well. They (US) have done a lot of research which is much ahead of us and Kerry`s visit to the institute makes us feel very good," said Gupta.
Kerry also visited the lab which was using algae to clean water and to produce biomass.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs