Kerry wishes `Shubho Nobo Borsho` to Bengalis
Washington: Secretary of State John Kerry has wished all Bengali-speaking people around the world "Shubho Nobo Borsho!" wishing them happiness and prosperity on behalf of President Barack Obama and the American people.
"On behalf of President Obama, I convey my warm greetings to all Bengali-speaking people around the world as you celebrate Pahela Boishakh," marking the advent of Bengali new year, he said in a statement.
"The American people wish you all happiness and prosperity in the New Year. The vibrant Bengali-American diaspora will join the global Bengali community in gathering with family and friends to celebrate your many accomplishments.
"As the New Year begins, let us all celebrate the rich cultures of West Bengal and Bangladesh in a spirit of optimism and mutual appreciation. Shubho Nobo Borsho!" he stated.
In separate statements, Kerry also wished Sri Lankans around the world on Sinhala and Tamil New Year and Nepalis "warmest wishes for a joyful" Nepali New Year (Bikram Sambat).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city