Kerry wishes `Shubho Nobo Borsho` to Bengalis
Washington: Secretary of State John Kerry has wished all Bengali-speaking people around the world "Shubho Nobo Borsho!" wishing them happiness and prosperity on behalf of President Barack Obama and the American people.
"On behalf of President Obama, I convey my warm greetings to all Bengali-speaking people around the world as you celebrate Pahela Boishakh," marking the advent of Bengali new year, he said in a statement.
"The American people wish you all happiness and prosperity in the New Year. The vibrant Bengali-American diaspora will join the global Bengali community in gathering with family and friends to celebrate your many accomplishments.
"As the New Year begins, let us all celebrate the rich cultures of West Bengal and Bangladesh in a spirit of optimism and mutual appreciation. Shubho Nobo Borsho!" he stated.
In separate statements, Kerry also wished Sri Lankans around the world on Sinhala and Tamil New Year and Nepalis "warmest wishes for a joyful" Nepali New Year (Bikram Sambat).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal