Kesri Nath Tripathi, VK Malhotra, Kalyan Singh among Governor probables?
Zee Media Bureau/Manisha Singh
New Delhi: Even as a storm brewed over reports that some of the Governors appointed by the UPA regime may be asked to go by Narendra Modi-led NDA government Tuesday, names have started doing the rounds of BJP leaders who could be their replacements.
As per reports, some of the Governors have been given feelers by the Centre to quit. In what is being said to be a fallout of the developing situation, Uttar Pradesh Governor BL Joshi resigned today.
As per reports, Union Home Secretary Anil Goswami called at least five Governors including K Sankaranarayanan of Maharashtra to put in their papers.
It is also being said that West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan and Gujarat Governor Kamla Beniwal have also been asked to quit.
Another UPA appointee who may have been asked to go is Kerala Governor Sheila Dikshit, However, she refused to comment on the topic when questioned by the media.
On the other hand Rajasthan Governor Margaret Alva is understood to have not been asked to leave as yet.
Meanwhile, Karnataka Governor HR Bhardawaj and Assam Governor, JB Patnaik met the President today.
As for replacement of these Governors, the names of BJP leaders doing the rounds are – Kesri Nath Tripathi, Kalyan Singh, VK Malhotra, CP Thakur, Kailash Chandra Joshi and Balram Das Tandon amongst others.
The name of Yashwant Sinha, MM Joshi, Shanta Kumar, Lalji Tandon and BC Khanduri have also been doing the rounds for some time now.
CP Thakur is presently a Rajya Sabha member and is a BJP leader from Bihar. He was a minister in Vajpayee`s regime from 1999 to 2004.
Kalyan Singh hails from Uttar Pradesh. He has served as the Chief Minister of the state three times. He quit the BJP couple of times and then came back to the party fold. He was the CM when Babri Masjid was demolished on 6 December 1992 and his role has been considered controversial in the entire matter.
Kailsh Chandra Joshi is a former CM of Madhya Pradesh and served from June 1977 to January 1978. He was a member of the 14th and 15th Lok Sabha.
Vijay Kumar Malhotra represented Delhi Sadar and South Delhi constituencies in the ninth and fourteenth Lok Sabha respectively. He is also a sports administrator.
Kesri Nath Tripathi is a former speaker of UP Assembly and was a member of the UP legislative Assembly five times - 1977-1980, 1989-1991,1991-1992,1993-1995, 1996-2002 and 2002-2007.
The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) acts as advisor to the President on the appointment of Governors
Modi who took oath as PM on May 26 had left out senior party leaders who were above the age of 75.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Rajnath Singh to arrive in trouble-torn Kashmir on Saturday
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone