KG Balakrishnan may become next NHRC chief
New Delhi: KG Balakrishnan, former chief justice of India, is tipped to head the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), a highly-placed government source said Wednesday.
The source said the formal decision to that affect would be taken "very soon".
"The matter is being judged by the home ministry, and I`m not aware of the movement of the file. But the decision will be taken very soon," a senior minister said.
The NHRC chairman`s position has been lying vacant since May 2009 when former chief justice of India Rajendra Babu retired from the position.
In response to a petition by the People`s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL), the Supreme Court had last year sought the central government’s explanation on why the NHRC chief’s post was vacant.
The post of the NHRC’s chairman can only be filled by a former chief justice of India. Since the retirement of Rajendra Babu, various former chief justices of India, including YK Sabharwal, have refused the government’s offer for appointment as the rights panel chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack