KG Balakrishnan may become next NHRC chief
New Delhi: KG Balakrishnan, former chief justice of India, is tipped to head the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), a highly-placed government source said Wednesday.
The source said the formal decision to that affect would be taken "very soon".
"The matter is being judged by the home ministry, and I`m not aware of the movement of the file. But the decision will be taken very soon," a senior minister said.
The NHRC chairman`s position has been lying vacant since May 2009 when former chief justice of India Rajendra Babu retired from the position.
In response to a petition by the People`s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL), the Supreme Court had last year sought the central government’s explanation on why the NHRC chief’s post was vacant.
The post of the NHRC’s chairman can only be filled by a former chief justice of India. Since the retirement of Rajendra Babu, various former chief justices of India, including YK Sabharwal, have refused the government’s offer for appointment as the rights panel chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why