‘KGB was approachable to fix judgements’
New Delhi: Although former Chief Justice of India and current NHRC chief KG Balakrishnan has steadfastly refused to give credence to questions on his integrity, a fresh salvo was launched on him by a retired Kerala High Court judge.
In an interview to a news channel on Friday, Justice Shamsuddin said that Balakrishnan was “approachable” to fix judgements.
As per the former Kerala HC judge, he was asked by a person - in 2009 - to approach Balakrishnan’s son and son-in-law in connection with a case in the apex court. Balakrishnan was the CJI at that time.
Justice Shamsuddin, who was a judge in the Kerala High Court till 1993 along with Justice Balakrishnan, also opined that the government is going slow on the probe against the former chief justice.
Balakrishnan has been quick with his rebuttal. He has termed Shamsuddin’s charges as baseless and said that since it was Justice Shamsuddin who was “approached”, he is the one who should be probed.
The Centre is treading cautiously on issues concerning the former CJI. Law Minister Veerappa Moily told the news channel that charges can be probed only if a case is filed.
It is not the first time questions are being asked about the integrity of Balakrishnan.
Earlier, Justice HL Gokhale of the Supreme Court had accused Balakrishnan of misrepresenting facts to conceal sacked telecom minister A Raja`s attempt to influence Justice R Reghupathy of the Madras HC on behalf of two murder accused known to the DMK leader.
Allegations about the disproportionate wealth of Balakrishnan`s close family members have also been doing the rounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31