Khaleda Zia arrives in the capital, meets Sushma
New Delhi: Former prime minister of Bangladesh Begum Khaleda Zia arrived here on Sunday on a week-long visit and called on Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj.
Zia, who is Leader of Opposition in Bangladesh, met Swaraj at her residence here. The two leaders are learnt to have discussed bilateral issues.
She will meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh here tomorrow.
India is playing host to Zia as part of its ongoing engagement with a democratic and multi-party polity in Bangladesh. She will be in India till November 3.
Visiting India at the invitation of the External Affairs Minister, Zia, who is chairperson of the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP), is also scheduled to call on the President.
Zia`s visit comes in the backdrop of India and Bangladesh failing to ink the crucial Teesta water sharing pact despite the broad agreement between the two sides, mainly because of the opposition by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
There were efforts to sign the agreement during the PM`s visit to Dhaka last year.
With its decision to invite Zia, India is trying to dispel the impression that its diplomatic engagement and comfort level was limited to the Sheikh Hasina-led government in Bangladesh, which is going for general elections in 2014.
Zia would also meet the External Affairs Minister, National Security Adviser and Foreign Secretary. She is also expected to visit Ajmer Sharif.
Zia`s last official visit to India was in 2006 as the then Prime Minister of Bangladesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends