Khap panchyayat seeks amendment in Hindu Marriage Act
Jind: A meeting of about 60 `Khap panchayats` (community councils) held here today, demanded amendments in the Hindu Marriage Act to prevent marriages within the same `gotra` (clan) and village.
The `Sarv Jatiya Sarvkhap` mahapanchayat presided over by Mewa Singh, president of the Mor Khap, urged all the MPs and MLAs of the state to support the demand of the panchayats.
The mahapanchayat decided that its representatives would meet the MPs and MLAs of the state and seek their cooperation for bringing amendments in the Hindu Marriage Act to bar marriages withing the same `gotra`, a provision absent in it at present.
Earlier, during a meeting at Danoda Kalan village in Narwana sub-divison of Jind district on April 18, the panchayats had made the same demand, saying such marriages were against societal norms.
A mahapanchayat of different khaps would now be held at Pai in Kaithal district on May 2, to decide the future strategy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...