Khap panchyayat seeks amendment in Hindu Marriage Act
Jind: A meeting of about 60 `Khap panchayats` (community councils) held here today, demanded amendments in the Hindu Marriage Act to prevent marriages within the same `gotra` (clan) and village.
The `Sarv Jatiya Sarvkhap` mahapanchayat presided over by Mewa Singh, president of the Mor Khap, urged all the MPs and MLAs of the state to support the demand of the panchayats.
The mahapanchayat decided that its representatives would meet the MPs and MLAs of the state and seek their cooperation for bringing amendments in the Hindu Marriage Act to bar marriages withing the same `gotra`, a provision absent in it at present.
Earlier, during a meeting at Danoda Kalan village in Narwana sub-divison of Jind district on April 18, the panchayats had made the same demand, saying such marriages were against societal norms.
A mahapanchayat of different khaps would now be held at Pai in Kaithal district on May 2, to decide the future strategy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you