Khap withdraws diktat issued to newly-wed couple
Rohtak: A Khap Panchayat in Haryana withdrew
its diktat asking a newly-wed couple of the same `gotra` to
annul their marriage or leave the village after they rejected
the order and police intervened.
Kulwant Maida and Sushila Badgujjar, who got married on
Sunday last at Samain village, 30 km from here, had been asked
by the Khap panchayat to annul their marriage as it violated
the age-old custom prohibiting same `gotra` (clan) weddings,
Rohtak SP A K Rao said.
However, the Scheduled Caste couple rejected the Khap`s
order calling it `Talibanesque` and `unethical` and reported
the matter to the police,
"Our officials went to Samain village yesterday and held
a meeting with the panchayat members. They were able to
convince them that their verdict was illogical and persuaded
them to take it back."
"We have reached a compromise with the bridegroom’s
family. Now, they (couple) can live here as husband and wife.
We have no problem with it," said a Khap member after the
self-styled caste council announced withdrawal of its diktat.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?