Khap withdraws diktat issued to newly-wed couple
Rohtak: A Khap Panchayat in Haryana withdrew
its diktat asking a newly-wed couple of the same `gotra` to
annul their marriage or leave the village after they rejected
the order and police intervened.
Kulwant Maida and Sushila Badgujjar, who got married on
Sunday last at Samain village, 30 km from here, had been asked
by the Khap panchayat to annul their marriage as it violated
the age-old custom prohibiting same `gotra` (clan) weddings,
Rohtak SP A K Rao said.
However, the Scheduled Caste couple rejected the Khap`s
order calling it `Talibanesque` and `unethical` and reported
the matter to the police,
"Our officials went to Samain village yesterday and held
a meeting with the panchayat members. They were able to
convince them that their verdict was illogical and persuaded
them to take it back."
"We have reached a compromise with the bridegroom’s
family. Now, they (couple) can live here as husband and wife.
We have no problem with it," said a Khap member after the
self-styled caste council announced withdrawal of its diktat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional