Khaps adamant on their demand, threaten stir
Jind (Haryana): Khap Panchayats or caste
councils, notorious for their diktats prohibiting marriages
within same sub-castes, Sunday threatened to launch a stir if
their demand for amending the Hindu Marriage Act was not met
by June 19.
A congregation of Khaps here also threatened social
boycott of MPs and MLAs if their demand was not fulfilled
within the stipulated time.
The meeting, attended by over 300 Khap representatives
from Haryana, UP and Delhi, resolved to slap a token fine of
"one anna" (equivalent to six paise) on the lawmakers besides
launching a non-cooperation movement.
Maintaining marriages within the same "gotra" are
against social norms, the self-styled community councils
reiterated their demand for amending the Hindu Marriage Act to
prevent wedlocks within the same clan.
Satibir Shastri, vice-president of the Haryana Arya
Pritinidhi Sabha, presided over the meeting attended by BKU
president Mahendra Singh Tikait.
Tikait stressed the need for unity among the Khaps,
the so-called custodian of medieval customs, for achieving
Caste panchayats in Haryana had launched a campaign
against the same gotra weddings after a Karnal court on March
30 awarded death penalty to five people.
The court also sentenced two others, including a Khap
leader, to life imprisonment in connection with the murder of
a couple who had married despite having a common sub-caste.
Another Khap diktat
Meanwhile, police have been deployed in Bajehda
village in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh after a Khap panchayat allegedly ordered to kill
a couple, who want to marry in the same cast against the local
The couple, said to be Rekha and Sudhir, have fled the
village following the community panchayat`s diktat. However,
no complaint was lodged with police about their disappearance.
SSP Raghubir Lal said security would be given to the
lovers if they seek protection from police. He has warned the
Khap panchayat under Massoori police station area, against the
The couple belong to the same caste and gotra and their
affair is opposed on grounds of customs in the area. Police in
plain clothes are deployed in the village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- PM Modi pays tribute to Chandra Shekhar Azad, Bal Gangadhar Tilak on birth anniversaries
- Did Indian Air Force's AN-32 plane vanish due to catastrophic accident?
- Doomed EgyptAir flight broke up midair after fire: Report
- Pokemon Go daily used twice as much as Facebook
- Virat Kohli: Five incredible records set by India captain during 200-run knock