Khaps adamant on their demand, threaten stir
Jind (Haryana): Khap Panchayats or caste
councils, notorious for their diktats prohibiting marriages
within same sub-castes, Sunday threatened to launch a stir if
their demand for amending the Hindu Marriage Act was not met
by June 19.
A congregation of Khaps here also threatened social
boycott of MPs and MLAs if their demand was not fulfilled
within the stipulated time.
The meeting, attended by over 300 Khap representatives
from Haryana, UP and Delhi, resolved to slap a token fine of
"one anna" (equivalent to six paise) on the lawmakers besides
launching a non-cooperation movement.
Maintaining marriages within the same "gotra" are
against social norms, the self-styled community councils
reiterated their demand for amending the Hindu Marriage Act to
prevent wedlocks within the same clan.
Satibir Shastri, vice-president of the Haryana Arya
Pritinidhi Sabha, presided over the meeting attended by BKU
president Mahendra Singh Tikait.
Tikait stressed the need for unity among the Khaps,
the so-called custodian of medieval customs, for achieving
Caste panchayats in Haryana had launched a campaign
against the same gotra weddings after a Karnal court on March
30 awarded death penalty to five people.
The court also sentenced two others, including a Khap
leader, to life imprisonment in connection with the murder of
a couple who had married despite having a common sub-caste.
Another Khap diktat
Meanwhile, police have been deployed in Bajehda
village in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh after a Khap panchayat allegedly ordered to kill
a couple, who want to marry in the same cast against the local
The couple, said to be Rekha and Sudhir, have fled the
village following the community panchayat`s diktat. However,
no complaint was lodged with police about their disappearance.
SSP Raghubir Lal said security would be given to the
lovers if they seek protection from police. He has warned the
Khap panchayat under Massoori police station area, against the
The couple belong to the same caste and gotra and their
affair is opposed on grounds of customs in the area. Police in
plain clothes are deployed in the village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- UN General Assembly President-elect calls on PM Narendra Modi
- Vijay Mallya deliberately concealing his assets, banks to SC
- Sushant Singh Rajput, Kriti Sanon went for a Thailand vacation? Here's the truth!
- Bulandshahr rape: SC pulls up UP Govt, Azam Khan over controversial remark - Details inside
- Scorpene data leak 'a matter of serious concern', asked DCNS for urgent probe: Navy Chief Sunil Lanba