Khaps endorse ban on girls from wearing jeans
Muzaffarnagar: The decision of a self-styled
caste council or Khap panchayat to ban girls from wearing
jeans has been endorsed by the heads of other such councils,
who say that the ban is necessary for preventing young couples
in their villages from eloping.
The Khap panchayat led by Battisa Khap Council head
Baba Suraj in Bhenswal village had on January 16 passed the
diktat which claimed that wearing jeans had a "bad effect" on
young women and incidents of eve-teasing had increased due to
their "objectionable clothes".
Upholding the diktat, head of the Baliyan Khap Council
Mahendra Singh Tikait has said the decision to disallow girls
from wearing jeans was right in order to curb "bad effects" on
youths of the villages.
He has appealed to other Khap councils to unitedly
implement the decision.
Choudhary Virendra Singh, the head of Latiyan Khap
council and Hari Kishan, the head of Gadwala Khap council have
also supported the decision to ban girls from wearing jeans.
Meanwhile, following the Battisa Khap`s formation of a
five-member women committee to implement the ban, the women
have started to keep a watch on the girls when they go out of
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement