Khaps endorse ban on girls from wearing jeans
Muzaffarnagar: The decision of a self-styled
caste council or Khap panchayat to ban girls from wearing
jeans has been endorsed by the heads of other such councils,
who say that the ban is necessary for preventing young couples
in their villages from eloping.
The Khap panchayat led by Battisa Khap Council head
Baba Suraj in Bhenswal village had on January 16 passed the
diktat which claimed that wearing jeans had a "bad effect" on
young women and incidents of eve-teasing had increased due to
their "objectionable clothes".
Upholding the diktat, head of the Baliyan Khap Council
Mahendra Singh Tikait has said the decision to disallow girls
from wearing jeans was right in order to curb "bad effects" on
youths of the villages.
He has appealed to other Khap councils to unitedly
implement the decision.
Choudhary Virendra Singh, the head of Latiyan Khap
council and Hari Kishan, the head of Gadwala Khap council have
also supported the decision to ban girls from wearing jeans.
Meanwhile, following the Battisa Khap`s formation of a
five-member women committee to implement the ban, the women
have started to keep a watch on the girls when they go out of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow