Khaps endorse ban on girls from wearing jeans
Muzaffarnagar: The decision of a self-styled
caste council or Khap panchayat to ban girls from wearing
jeans has been endorsed by the heads of other such councils,
who say that the ban is necessary for preventing young couples
in their villages from eloping.
The Khap panchayat led by Battisa Khap Council head
Baba Suraj in Bhenswal village had on January 16 passed the
diktat which claimed that wearing jeans had a "bad effect" on
young women and incidents of eve-teasing had increased due to
their "objectionable clothes".
Upholding the diktat, head of the Baliyan Khap Council
Mahendra Singh Tikait has said the decision to disallow girls
from wearing jeans was right in order to curb "bad effects" on
youths of the villages.
He has appealed to other Khap councils to unitedly
implement the decision.
Choudhary Virendra Singh, the head of Latiyan Khap
council and Hari Kishan, the head of Gadwala Khap council have
also supported the decision to ban girls from wearing jeans.
Meanwhile, following the Battisa Khap`s formation of a
five-member women committee to implement the ban, the women
have started to keep a watch on the girls when they go out of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you