Kharge draws from Mahabharata to taunt BJP
New Delhi: Congress leader in Lok Sabha Mallikarjun Kharge today took recourse to Mahabharata to target BJP reminding it that the Pandavas were few in number, but 100-strong Kauravas could not defeat them.
Kharge`s taunt came in the backdrop of BJP leader Rajiv Pratap Rudy`s remarks that the ruling party, which enjoys absolute majority in the House, may not take advice of the Opposition party which has a history of 65 years of "misrule".
Agitated over the criticism by BJP that it was unthinkable that a national party has to be welcomed as a "regional party" in Lok Sabha, Kharge referred to the epic underlining that Pandavas emerged victorious despite the Kauravas being numerically strong.
Rebutting criticism about Congress having only 44 members in the Lok Sabha, Kharge said amid thumping on desks by Congress, "You think we are 40 people and you are a strong 300 and so suppress (us). Pandavas may have been very less in number, but they were never intimidated by a hundred Kauravas."
Initiating a debate on the Motion of Thanks on the President`s address, Rudy said since there was no Leader of the Opposition, Congress would not be able to participate in decision-making on major issues like appointment of Chief Vigilance Commissioner, CBI Director or Lokpal.
"Earlier, Sushma Swaraj (as the Leader of the Opposition) used to give her views, but the then Prime Minister used to have his way. But we will not leave you behind, we will take you along.
This is our promise. Our Prime Minister (Narendra Modi) is large-hearted," Rudy said.
He said Congress party`s suggestions would not be accepted "if you give suggestions which reflect the way in which you had been running the country for 65 year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption