Khurshid asks Advani why collegium was not set up in NDA rule
New Delhi: Law Minister Salman Khurshid on Wednesday refused to get drawn into the demand of L K Advani to set up a collegium system to appoint Election Commissioners but hit out at the BJP leader questioning whether the same criterion was applied during the NDA rule.
He said since Advani`s letter is addressed to the Prime Minister, "I am sure he will take a view and convey it to Advani...I cannot convey anything to the media."
He was responding to questions on the demand made by Advani.
The Law Minister also took a dig at Advani, saying that during NDA`s tenure the then Home Minister must have appointed four to five ECs. "Has he reconsidered that the decision (to appoint ECs during his tenure) was not correct before writing to the Prime Minister," he said.
Advani`s suggestion for a collegium to appoint Election Commissioners and CAG has received the backing of UPA ally DMK and opposition CPI(M).
DMK chief M Karunanidhi said the BJP leader`s views could not be ignored and expressed confidence that the Centre would accord due importance to it.
CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechuri has said that his party agreed with Advani that there should be a collegium for appointments of Election Commissioners and CAG on the pattern of Chief Vigilance Commissioner.
Advani had in a letter to the Prime Minister on Sunday voiced concern over the present system of appointment by the President on the advice of the Prime Minister.
He had suggested that posts like Election Commissioner and Comptroller and Auditor General of India be appointed by a "broad-based collegium," comprising the Prime Minister, the Chief Justice of India, the Law minister and the Leaders of Opposition in the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees