Khurshid, Aziz to discuss PM-Sharif meet
New Delhi: External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid will meet his Pakistani counterpart Sartaj Aziz on September 13 in Kyrgyzstan during which they will try to schedule a meeting between their Prime Ministers in New York later this month.
While a request for a meeting between Khurshid and Pakistan Prime Minister`s national security and foreign policy adviser Aziz was sought by the Pakistani side through their High Commission here, the India side has also given the consent for the same "verbally", sources said here.
They said the meeting between Khurshid and Aziz on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation meet in Bishkek was also aimed at reducing the tension between the two countries in the backdrop of a series of ceasefire violations. Both India and Pakistan have blamed each other for the violations and summoned the envoys.
While Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has expressed his desire to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in New York later this month, India has been maintaining that Islamabad needs to address its concerns on ceasefire violations in which five of its soldiers were killed.
Last week, Khurshid categorically said that a decision on possible talks between Singh and Sharif will be taken after assessing steps Pakistan takes to address their concerns on recent "unacceptable" incidents.
"We are keeping quiet on this and watching. I realise that the time is coming for the New York visit. So, obviously call will be taken by the Prime Minister at an appropriate stage. But we will not hasten it as we do not want to jump the gun.
"I think when some major significant thing goes wrong, many things still remain right but you cannot neglect the major thing that has gone wrong. Decision has to be in the interest of the nation," Khurshid had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read