Khurshid briefs Mulayam on Chinese incursion issue
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of sharp attack by the Samajwadi Party on the government over the Chinese incursion, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid on Friday briefed its party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav about the government`s stand and strategy to deal with the issue.
Khurshid, along with Minister of State in the Prime Minister`s Office V Narayanasamy, met Yadav in Parliament House on Friday morning.
According to Samajwadi Party sources, Yadav was briefed about the government`s stand and strategy to deal with the incursion in Ladakh region. The issue of Sarabjit Singh also cropped up during the 40-minute discussion, they said.
"Now government is showing some seriousness. But the need is to drive the Chinese out of our territory...It is a very serious matter," Yadav later told reporters outside Parliament House.
The SP chief said the Chinese army had entered one km inside Indian territory when he was the Defence Minister. "I directed the (Indian) forces to drive them out. We entered four km inside Chinese territory in the process," he claimed. Yadav said he told Khurshid that "Chinese cannot be trusted."
When asked about the meeting, Khurshid said, "I briefed him (Yadav) on various things."
A crucial outside ally of the UPA, the Samajwadi Party had recently attacked the government in Lok Sabha over the Chinese incursion in Ladakh. The party had accused the government of acting in a "cowardly" manner and objected to Khurshid`s forthcoming visit to China.
Yadav had said in the Lower House that the Chinese incursion was an "attack" on India and asked the government to retaliate even if it leads to war.
The SP supremo said China was the biggest threat India faced. He also asked the government to immediately cancel Khurshid`s proposed Beijing visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery