Khurshid calls for rethink on Capital punishment
New Delhi: As the world will observe
non-violence day on Gandhi Jayati on October 2, a Union
Minister on Wednesday called for a rethink on the issue of
"You will celebrate non-violence day in October.
There are also few countries left in the world that still take
revenge on killers by killing them. We still have death
sentence," Minority Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said
while addressing a programme organised to deliberate on
`Towards a world without weapons of war and violence`.
Khurshid said he has read accounts of people waiting
for ten years in the death row and "we argue in the political
forum....they are all numbers now for us. Nobody is there to
know whether there has been spiritual transformation in death
"State being involved in making somebody an orphan and
participating in something that is making somebody an orphan
is the very question that we don`t seem to worry about. We
don`t seem to talk about it. Why there is this great
insensitivity among us?" he said.
The programme was jointly organised by United Nations
Information Centre and Universal Peace Federation of India.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know