Khurshid congratulates Obama on re-election as US President
New Delhi: Congratulating Barack Obama on his re-election as US President, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid on Thursday said India and the United States share excellent relations and will continue to move forward.
Khurshid noted that both the countries had achieved "significant" accomplishments in the past one decade and would like to move forward.
Talking about the "good news" of re-election of Obama, Khurshid told reporters, "for the US and India, this is a very important signature of reassertion and celebration of their respective democracies."
He noted that it was a fiercely contested poll (between Obama and Mitt Romney) and it ended as a reassertion of democratic values.
"We have good memories about Obama`s visit to India, especially the one in Parliament. India and the United States will continue to move forward. There are areas of cooperation like security where we have common concerns," he said.
On the leadership change in China, he said India was "watching closely" the developments in the neighbouring country which has successful "scientific" system of generational change in leadership.
"We look forward to a meaningful, sustainable dialogue and relationship with China," he said.
Queried about UN sanctions against the Haqqani terror network, he said India`s concerns regarding operations of such groups has been "very clear" and this step was "logical".
Talking about the Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) which he attended, Khurshid said the deliberations were fruitful.
On Purilia arms drop case main accused Kim Davy`s extradition, the minister said he had raised the issue with Denmark Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt during his meeting with him in Laos during ASEM meeting.
Thorning-Schmidt informed him that they would undertake further techno-legal examination of India`s request for extradition of Davy and initiate discussions on that basis, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you