Khurshid likely to raise border issue with Aziz
New Delhi: Concerned over a spike in infiltrations across the border and a rise in ceasefire violations, India is expected to raise the issue with Pakistan during the Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) of foreign ministers here next month.
Sartaj Aziz, Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif`s adviser on foreign affairs and national security, is to attend the Nov 11-12 ASEM foreign ministers` meeting in New Delhi.
There is "likelihood" of a meeting between External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid and Aziz on the sidelines of the meeting, an informed source told a news agency.
On Wednesday, India voiced its serious concern over a marked rise in infiltrations across the border with the "tacit" backing of the Pakistan Army.
Defence Minister AK Antony said on Wednesday: "Attempts at infiltration are still going on, and increasing, which means with support of elements across the border... Nothing can happen without the tacit support of Pakistan Army."
There have been over 300 ceasefire violations already since the beginning of the year.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has also said he was "disappointed" with the rise in ceasefire violations which were taking place despite his New York meeting with Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, when both had agreed to maintain peace and tranquility on the Line of Control and the International Border.
The 11th ASEM Foreign Ministers` Meeting would have the proposed theme, ASEM: Bridge to Partnership for Growth and Development. It is expected to come up with fresh ideas for reviving the Asia-Europe partnership.
The next ASEM summit is set to be held in Brussels in autumn 2014.
The ASEM currently has 51 partners: 49 countries and two international organisations - the European Commission and the ASEAN Secretariat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- When Peter Mukherjea met and fell madly in love with Indrani